BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
6.22.2015 – 6.28.2015
Fundamentals – Frame Escape
- Foot Sweep Walking Backward – We often do foot sweeps where we step into our partner’s space, but it’s important to also know how to perform a sweep when you are going backward!
- Frame Escape – We’re practicing the frame escape this week, a technique that can be used to escape side control or half guard. We’ll look at using the bridge and hip-out to replace the guard.
Intermediate – Tripod Sweep and Attacks
- Arm Drag – We’re going to continue to practice the arm drag this week, using it to set up takedowns. We’ll look in more detail at going from the arm drag to the double-leg.
- Tripod Sweep to Armbar or Triangle – When your partner stands up in your closed guard, it’s great to have a couple of solid sweeps in your arsenal. This week we’re practicing the tripod sweep, controlling an arm and taking out a leg in order to come into mount or back into closed guard on the ground. From here, we can start to set up the armbar or the triangle.
Kickboxing – Body Punching
“Kill the body and the head will die,” – a famous saying taken from boxing, which alludes to the serious damage that body punching can do! This week we look at the proper way to punch to the body of the opponent, such as the different targets on the body and how to stay safe while level changing. We will also look at setting up our body combinations with head strikes to distract the opponent. Always think: body-head-body or head-body-head!
Fitness Challenge: 180-degree Squat Jumps and Russian Twists
Muay Thai – Round Kicks
This week we focus on the most important strike in the Thai Boxing arsenal: the round kick. We will focus on the traditional style of throwing the kick, as well as another variation that changes the angle of the strike, called a pendulum kick. We will also look at our round kick defense options and counters again this week. If you want to study one of the best kickers in the game, YouTube “Yodsanklai Fairtex” and watch his devastating kicks!
Kids – Words Over Emotion
To wrap up our talks about keeping our emotions under control, this week we’ll talk about words over emotion. We can use our words to control the way we feel about a situation, and we’ll practice talking about our feelings in constructive ways.
- Little Tigers – We’re continuing our practice of maintaining side control this week, using the crocodile control game.
- Tigers – This week we’re working on the snap down. From a standing position, we’ll use a clinch to control our partner’s head, bringing them to the floor, where we can take the back. We’ll also look at guillotine defense from standing.
- Advanced Tigers – We’ll be practicing a takedown from the side clinch this week, using it to come into side control. Then we’ll be looking at a headlock escape. We’re also going to be drilling maintaining and escaping the mount.
It’s time for some defense! This week we’ll be practicing defending straight punches with slips, parries, and counters.
- Sparta Combat League fight week is upon us! There are still a couple of days to try and grab some tickets from Coach Gigi or Coach Peter! Get yours and come out to support these two as they represent ETC! We also have ETC Centennial student, Jake Chatham going for his first title defense!
Things turn out the best for people who make the best of how things turn out. ~ John Wooden