BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
3.9.2015 – 3.15.2015
Fundamentals – Guard Passing
- Mid-Level Single Leg – We’ll work on another takedown this week. The mid-level single leg is a great way to throw an attacker or an opponent off balance.
- Guard Passing – Under – Guard passing is a skill that you will continue to hone throughout your BJJ career. This week our focus will be controlling the hips while we pass under the leg to come into side control.
Intermediate – Mount Escapes
- Overhook/Underhook to Headlock and Single Leg – This week we’ll keep working on setting up a single leg takedown with a headlock. As always, take care of your partners!
- Buck and Roll, Knee to Elbow – We’ll continue to practice these essential mount escapes, learning to recognize the situations in which we can use these techniques.
Kickboxing – Straight Knees and Skip Knees
This week we focus on the mechanics of the straight knee to the body as well as skip knees on the inside. Knees are a very powerful mid and short-range weapon in kickboxing, that can be used to the body or the head, depending on the angle of the knee. Like all of our lower-body strikes, the power comes from our hips! Remember to “tighten up” your striking leg to create more power on your knee strike!
Fitness Challenge: Shoulder Tap Push Ups & Russian Twist Crunches
Muay Thai – Fighting in Both Stances
This week we focus on footwork and strikes from both stances and learning to transition from one to the other. We never want to find ourselves at a disadvantage in a fight, so learning to be comfortable in both stances allows us to be dangerous no matter what stance. We will also use strikes to hide our transitions from orthodox to southpaw, and vice versa.
Kids – Review: Stranger Danger
This week we’ll review everything we’ve learned about how to recognize a stranger, things strangers might say to trick us when they want to hurt us, and what to do if we find ourselves in these situations.
- Little Tigers – Now that we have a handle on some of the fundamental striking techniques, we’ll work on following them up with a double-leg takedown.
- Tigers – This week we’ll work on basic guard passing, focusing on passing over the leg to come into side control.
- Advanced Tigers – We’ll look at a handy double attack–simultaneously setting up the front choke and arm bar from mount.
Continuing with our focus on elbows, this week we’ll learn the proper form for a downward elbow.
- Good luck to all of the ETC BJJ competitors that will be out at the Pan Ams this coming week! We have a pretty good size group heading out, and hopefully they’ll be bringing back some hardware! They’ve all prepared so well and worked so hard!
When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds: Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world. Dormant forces, faculties and talents become alive, and you discover yourself to be a greater person by far than you ever dreamed yourself to be. -Patanjali