BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
4.13.2015 – 4.19.2015
Fundamentals – Escape the Back Mount
- Low Level Single-Leg Takedown – The single leg is all about positioning and balance. We’ll practice setting up this takedown and focus especially on getting the angle just right to throw our partner off balance.
- Escaping Back Mount – Escaping the back is tough. First we have to keep safe from attacks, then we can think about getting out of danger. We’re going to look at two types of back escapes–from the safe side and from the risky side.
Intermediate – Passing Half Guard
- Double-Leg Takedown – The double leg is one of the best takedowns to have in your toolbox. We’ll work on getting a lot of reps in so the setup becomes second nature.
- Pass Half Guard – Getting caught in your partner’s half guard as you’re trying to pass can be a frustrating experience. This week we’ll look at a handy way to escape the half guard using a base switch.
Kickboxing – Stepping Off the Tracks
The goal of any combat sport is to hit and not get hit back! This week we work on that rule, as we throw an initial combination, then step “off the tracks” and follow up with a final combination. Another rule of thumb is: “step to the side you finish on.” If you finish with the left side, step to your left, and vice versa. For every combination, think offense, step around, follow up!
Fitness Challenge: Jump Squats and Number Abs
Muay Thai – Defense and Returns
The shell and guard are two of the most basic and important defenses in Muay Thai and Kickboxing. This week we will get comfortable blocking punches on the shell and returning with various counters, depending on the scenario. Use your gloves, your forearms, and shoulders all as defensive tools to minimize damage while not giving up ground in an exchange! Learning to make a proper shell will be one of your most important defensive tools you can learn!
Kids – Good Attitude
It’s character development month, and this week we’re talking about attitude. Our success depends on our attitude. What does it mean to have a good attitude? What can we do and say to show our good attitude?
- Little Tigers – This week we’re working on maintaining the mount position. We’ll play a game called Spider Kid to help the little ones practice.
- Tigers – This month the Tigers class will be looking at the back sweep, the knee-to-elbow mount escape, and the front choke
- Advanced Tigers – Advanced Tigers will be working on the same techniques as the regular Tigers class, and also adding in the arm drag to double-leg takedown, the Pendy sweep, and an armbar from the top of mount.
We’ll continue working on our kicks this week, focusing on setting up the round kicks by stepping out at an angle. With our push kicks, we’ll work on getting full, strong extension.
Peter Straub is making his MMA Pro Debut on April 25th at the Budweiser Events Center! Tickets will go fast, so be sure and see him to grab a couple. Good luck coach!!
The Bernardo Faria seminar is sold out! Thanks to all who made it possible and to everyone attending as well.
- ETC Boulder and ETC Denver will be holding kids’ summer camp sessions in June, July, and August. These camps are open to members and non-members alike. Get 10% off if you register by April 30th! Talk to the front desk of your academy.
Know that you have power to promote change. Don’t wait for some superhuman individual to come along and do the work for you. It is completely up to you how much impact you intend to have on this world, and you CAN have an impact. Every decision we make has impact, so do your part to affect the change that you would like to see. Otherwise, you may just end up waiting for the superhero that never shows up.