BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
9.22.2014 – 9.28.2014
Fundamentals – Side Control Escapes
- Pummeling + Low Back Clench – The most fundamental skill in any stand up game is Pummeling. It allows you to dominate your partner’s body position, while mitigating their defense.
- Pummel + Frame Escapes from Side Control – Getting out of Side Control is a tough nut to crack. We’ll look at two options this week that form 90% of your Side Control escape game.
Intermediate – Guard Passing
Kickboxing – Leg Kicks
Leg kicks are a powerful and devastating tool in the kickboxing arsenal. Imagine your shin as a baseball bat, and that’s what we swing at the bag! Low kicks generate power by body rotation and gravity. Use your momentum and weight to throw powerful low kicks. Remember, when we throw kicks in kickboxing, we use our shins instead of our feet to connect!
Fitness Challenge: 150 Push Ups
Muay Thai – Body Shots
The key to a successful offense is to vary the attacks. A good fighter will throw a combination that attacks the head, body, and legs. This week we focus on attacking the body with punches in order to open up other areas of the body. Attack the head and the body opens up, attack the body and the head opens. Use your first punch to set up the one following it!
Kids – ABC’s of Conflict Avoidance
Self Defense starts way before a physical altercation is even close to ensuing. This week we’ll round up the 3 steps to avoiding getting into a scuffle altogether, while still maintaining our self respect, making sure another incident doesn’t repeat itself in the future.
- Little Tigers – This week we’ll play Crazy Legs, working on Guard Passing skills, as well as agility.
- Tigers – The Mount is one of the most dominant positions in BJJ, and in a fight. This week we’ll study both how to maintain this position, and how to escape it.
- Advanced Tigers – Guard Passing is one of the most difficult things to do in BJJ. This week we’ll look at, not only how to pass the Guard, but how to maintain position after we’ve accomplished this feat.
Hooks and Uppercuts are the best way to beat our partner’s guard, and open them up for some more combos.
- Congrats to all of the ETC competitors that went to California to compete this past weekend. Professor Carlsen got Bronze in his division and Silver in the open division in his very first competition at Black Belt! The other competitors also did well with two first place finishes and a silver and bronze to make for a pretty good haul! Awesome job guys!!
Life is short, so make every moment count to the fullest! Leave no regrets when you look back at what you’ve accomplished. The only way to be sure of this is to live each day as though it could be your last, or as if it is your last chance to make a push towards your goals!!!