BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
4.27.2015 – 5.3.2015
Fundamentals – Pendulum Armbar
- Stripping Grips – Stripping grips is a key component of anyone’s Jiu Jitsu game. We’ll look at a few different techniques, focusing on breaking the grip where it is weakest.
- Technical Armbar and the Pendulum – We’re going to look at setting up the armbar from closed guard, using the swinging pendulum motion. The pendulum is a very important movement and one of the foundations for the BJJ bottom game, thousands of repetitions will be necessary before you really have it nailed down. Lets get a bunch of reps in this week!
Intermediate – Knee On Belly Escapes
- Double-Leg Takedown – We’ll keep working on our double-legs, this week looking more at level changes and variations.
- Knee On Belly Escapes – Knee on belly can be an unpleasant position to find yourself in. We’re going to look at different ways to move out from beneath your partner’s weight, and throw them off balance.
Kickboxing – Knees
This week we focus on mechanics for long knees, also known as “straight knees,” and angled knees, AKA “round knees.” These are two different types of knees aimed at the body of the opponent, with two different angles of attack (through the guard or around the guard). We will also work on our skip knee rhythm and technique! Lots of knees this week in class!
Fitness Challenge: Tempo Squats and Plank Marches
Muay Thai – Knees
This week we will focus on several different ways to throw knees, as well as several different areas to attack with the knee strike. We will also look at ways to counter punches while using knees. In the advanced classes, we will drill linking knees with other weapons and specific knee strike combinations.
Kids – Being a “Good-Finder”
We’ll be elaborating on what it means to have a good attitude, and how we can work to improve our attitudes. This week we’re talking about being a “good-finder,” that is, someone who looks for the good in everyone and everything they encounter.
- Little Tigers – We’ll continue to work on techniques from mount. From the top of mount, we’ll practice maintaining the position, moving like a “spider kid.” From the bottom of mount, we’ll be doing the buck-and-roll escape. We’ll practice by playing “shark bite” and incorporating the move into our games.
- Tigers – This week we’re focusing primarily on the front choke from guard. We’ll be looking at setting it up with a lapel wrap around the head, which is a better grip for small hands. We’ll also be working on escaping a rear bear hug over the arms.
- Advanced Tigers –
This week we’re continuing our focus on round kicks, breaking the kick down into its component steps. We’ll work on both the rear kick and the switch kick, emphasizing the setup and placement.
- ongratulations to Coach Peter Straub for a successful Professional Debut! Coach delivered an amazing performance en route to a 1st round victory via rear naked choke!
Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.
Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.
Hatred darkens life; love illumines it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.