Focus of the Week 12/09/19
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | Kids
12.9.2019 – 12.15.2019
- Drills: Push/pull stance drill, Russian drill, arm drag drill, takedown, De la Riva to anaconda guard to 1 leg X-guard sweep
- Takedown: Side Clinch / Trip Backwards
- Ground: Passing the Closed Guard
Kickboxing – Boxing
This week in Kickboxing, we will be focusing on our punching! Looking at concepts such as hitting the body, speed vs power, and establishing a strong jab. Boxing opens up the rest of our weapons in Kickboxing, so we use it all the time!
Muay Thai – Low Kick Offense and Strategy
This week, we will look at leg kick offense, set ups, and follow ups. Learning how to attack the opponent’s legs is a valuable tool that can slow the opponent down, take steam off their strikes, and set us up for a ton of nice follow ups. A hard leg kick is a staple of every good Thai Boxer’s arsenal, and on the other side, building up your legs to take leg kicks is key as well.
Kids – Energy
How do you spend your energy?
- BJJ – Mount & Bulldozer
Tigers – White Belt
- Standing – Double Leg
- Ground – Mount & Maintaining Mount
Tigers – Advanced
- Standing – Grip Strip Double
- Ground – Mount Top & Arm bar from Gift Wrap
- Congratulations to our Kids who were promoted this past weekend, and heads up for this weekend Winter Muay Thai Smoker. Come by and support your friends and teammates while they put their Muay Thai skills to the test. Saturday December 14th all classes CANCELLED at Denver location.
Thoughts – Motivation Versus Dedication
It’s important to know the difference between motivation and dedication. Motivation is great, but it’s a very temporary feeling. Everyone, at some point in their lives is motivated to do something. All of you, if you are newer, are probably motivated right now to be here. Dedication, on the other hand, is different. It is a deep-seated promise we silently make to ourselves. It’s a promise that sometimes is hard to keep, but that is why people who are successful are always dedicated. To be dedicated means to keep pursuing your goal even when you are no longer motivated. The days when you’re tired, or it’s raining out, and the last thing you want to do is come in here and train, that is where dedication separates itself from motivation. I challenge everyone in here to make that promise to yourself, and to live a healthier and more rewarding life because of it.