Focus of the Week (7/25/16)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
7.25.2016 – 7.31.2016
Fundamentals – Bear Hug Defense and Guard Passing
- Bear Hug Over Arms – As we’ve said before, people will typically only try and grab you in several ways. A bear hug from behind, with their arms over the top of yours is one way. This week, we’ll look at how to escape this particular hold and go on the offensive.
- Guard Passing – Over – With this particular guard pass, we will focus on going over the opponent’s leg, as oppose to under, which we did last week. Now you’ll be able to do both ways really well. If you’ve been in Intermediate the last couple of weeks…then you’re passing should really be getting good!
Intermediate – Hip Throw and Knee on Stomach
- Renzo Hip Throw – This week we will be looking at a hip throw variation that is extremely effective. The grips are different, and the way we get them to move into the throw are not the same as the traditional hip throw, but it is VERY effective nonetheless.
- Knee On Stomach – Movement and Attacks – This position can be so effective for mobility and control, that some upper belts prefer it to traditional side control. Those with a good understanding of this position can really make you suffer, while using minimal energy themselves. If you’ve ever rolled with Professor Mike Tousignant…you know what I’m talking about!
Kickboxing – Attacking the Body
This week in kickboxing, we look at the art of attacking the body. Learning how to properly punch your opponent’s midsection can add a new level to your offense! We will work on level changes, setting up the body shots, and proper follow ups after we land a devastating body punch.
Muay Thai – Knees
his week in Muay Thai, we will look at various knee strikes and set ups. Ranging from long knees, to round knees, to short knees on the inside. We will look at how to “march” and skip” into knees for maximum power, and also how to establish good hand position on the inside once we deliver a knee, so that we are in position to knee again!
- Easton Muay Thai has really been making some waves recently… between all of the students and coaches that Tony Cummings has been working with in Boulder and Denver, the High Altitude crew making waves and winning titles, and the Centennial crew bringing home some hardware just this past weekend from the IKF World Classic! The team is getting STRONG! Let’s keep the momentum going and close out the year strong! Thanks to everyone that has been passionately investing time into making the MT/KB program a success!
Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. You are here to realize your inner divinity and manifest your innate enlightenment. – Morihei Ueshiba