Focus of the Week (4/25/16)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
4.25.2016 – 4.31.2016
Fundamentals – Single Legs and Back Escapes
- Single-Leg Takedown – This is one of the most basic takedowns that we use. We will cover what lets you know that this is the takedown to shoot (foot placement), as well as the details that really make the finishing percentage go way up.
- Back Escapes – The back is arguably the worst position to be in in a fight (or mount). If you are unfamiliar with the escapes from this position, you could be in for a really bad day. Make sure you have an idea for what to do here or face the consequences during training…or worse, during a fight!
Intermediate – Arm Drag and Scarf Hold Defense
- Arm Drag – Arm drags are awesome ways to close the distance and take your opponent down. Timing, speed, and momentum play a huge part in the success of arm drag take downs, and we will show you how to set these up with confidence.
- Scarf Hold Escape – Much like the headlock, scarf holds can be devastating when done by the right individual. The important thing for us here is to know how to escape the scarf hold, and or turn it into a headlock, so we can escape without incident. If you are slow to act, you could very well find yourself getting submitted from this position, so get in to class and learn how to avoid the scarf hold, or escape it.
Kickboxing – Stepping Off and Creating Angles
The goal of combat sports is to hit and not get hit! This week, we will focus on different ways of “stepping off the line” to avoid getting hit after we hit our opponents. A good rule of thumb is to step to the side you finish on. So, if you finish with your lead hand, step to your lead side. If you finish with your rear hand, exit to your rear side. This week, we drill the pivot step to the lead side and the slide step to our rear side. Get off the tracks!
Muay Thai – Round Kick Defense
Last week, round kick offense. This week, round kick defense. Now we learn how to defend against a strong kicker. There are a number of ways to defend and counter a round kick, depending on the scenario. We will look at blocking, checking, catching, evading, and intercepting. All of these are important, so come get your reps in!
- There are many things going on this time of year that can cause you to slow down on your training. Try not to let things side track you from your fitness goals. Stay focused, show up, and train! You won’t regret it! With summer almost here, it’s time to get that swimsuit body ready. See you on the mat!
All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts. If a man speak or act with an evil thought, suffering follows him as the wheel follows the hoof of the beast that draws the wagon…. If a man speak or act with a good thought, happiness follows him like a shadow that never leaves him.