Focus of the Week (2/23/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
2.23.2015 – 2.29.2015
Fundamentals – Maintaining Side Control
- Ippon Seonage – Basic Hip Throw – Also known as the Renzo Hip Throw, this throw utilizes the momentum of an attacker to toss them easily to the ground.
- Maintaining Side Control – This week we’ll examine a variety of ways to maintain side control, frustrating your partner’s attempts to escape, and setting up to take the mount.
Intermediate – Double Attack
Kickboxing – Round Kicks
Round kicks are the most powerful technique in our kickboxing arsenal. When thrown properly, the motion is very similar to swinging a baseball bat…with your shin as the bat! There are a lot of mechanics involved in this kick, so focus on the technique first before you add speed and power. If your shins are bothering you this week, don’t forget to bring your shinguards to class!
Fitness Challenge: Jump Squats and Bicycle Crunches
Muay Thai – Kick Defense
This week, we focus on 3 ways to defend the round kick: 1) forearm block, 2) high check, and 3) catch or trap. Depending on the rule system you are competing under as well as the opponent, some defenses may be more appropriate than others. No matter the case, it is important to defend against the kick, and then return!
Kids – Assistance and Direction Lures
This week we’ll continue to talk about things adults might say to trick children into dangerous situations. For example, pretending to need help or directions.
- Little Tigers – We will continue practicing safe falling technique, as well as basic boxing, and guard passing.
- Tigers – We’ll look at the Buck and Roll, as well as how to move from the inside of closed guard to side control, eventually taking the mount.
- Advanced Tigers – The Advanced Tigers will work on the the same techniques as the Tigers, also adding in reviews of pulling guard, sweeping, and attacking from the mount.
Now that we are familiar with the different types of elbow strikes and how to mix them into punching combinations, we will work on throwing several elbows in succession.
- Congrats to all of the ETC competitors that showed up and represented at the FTW Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu tournament this weekend! The snow didn’t stop us as we came out in force as usual and fought our hearts out! While the official result hasn’t been posted as of yet, something tells me it was ETC once again! Great job everyone for not only competing but conducting yourselves with honor! Now we all have stuff to work on, so lets get back to training!In just under two weeks, Gigi Good and Corey Sandhagen will enter the cage to put it all on the line for a couple of Title Belts! Please grab a couple of tickets and come out and support them at the Paramount Theater downtown on March 6th. Prized Fighting Championships is going down along with concert from Everlast! Tickets can be purchased from the fighters, at their academies, or online at cagetix.com. Be sure and pick them as your fighter so they get credit!!
“Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.” – Voltaire
Don’t be afraid to celebrate and appreciate those around you! It is this state of mind that attracts all sorts of positivity and forces us to grow in the right direction.