Focus of the Week ( 2/2/2015 )
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
2.2.2015 – 2.8.2015
Fundamentals – Side Control
- Low Back Clinch – This week we’ll be studying how to close the distance in a Self Defense situation, taking our partner to the mat.
- Escaping Side Control – Being in Side Control can feel like being run over by a truck. All your partner’s weight is pinning you to the mat. This week we’ll study how to efficiently move our partner’s weight off us, so we can advance our position.
Intermediate – Mount
- Renzo Hip Throw – We’ll be getting more advanced with our Hip throws this week by adding in some movement. Our goal is to use our partner’s strength against them.
- Maintaining Mount – Getting to Mount is a huge accomplishment, but if your partner knows what they’re doing you could be back in their Guard after only a few seconds. This week we’re working on how to hold this dominant position so you can begin to set up your attacks.
Kickboxing – Body Punch Combos
This week we shift our focus to boxing, particularly how to attack the body with our punch combinations. When you throw a combination to the head, the body opens up, and when you attack the body, the head will be available. This will be the theme this week! “Head, body, head,” and “body, head, body!”
Fitness Challenge: Squats and Planks
Muay Thai – Defense, Continued…
We will continue our study of defense this week, as it is the most important aspect of fighting. If you cannot defend yourself, you cannot survive the in the fight long enough to establish any offense. We will look again at parries, blocks, high guard, and long guard: all different defenses for different attacks and ranges. We will also begin to look at defense against other weapons, such as round kicks. A strong defense will keep you safe and open up your countering and offense!
Kids – Self Defense
One of the main reasons for learning a martial art is for self defense. Having the knowledge that you can protect yourself, your friends, and your family in a dangerous situation allows you the security to be yourself. This week we’ll be discussing how to defend ourselves when every other option has been exhausted.
- Little Tigers – We’re working on our stand up game this week, learning how to punch and kick properly, giving us confidence to defend ourselves from any position.
- Tigers – We’ll be studying how to escape the Mount this week, one of the most crucial Self Defense lessons we can learn.
- Advanced Tigers – This week we are sequencing our offense with our defense. We’ll be working on how to go from the Mount to the Guard a,d into a Sweep.
This week we’re focusing on how to combine our footwork with our striking, creating an elusive and dynamic game.
- Don’t miss your opportunity to win FREE tickets to the UFC coming up in Denver on the 14th! There are details on your ETC’s Facebook page, or check with the front desk to find out how to win! It’s easy, and you can enter to win multiple times.
- ETC Centennial’s own Coach Gigi Good will be fighting for the PFC 135lb. Amateur Championship at the Paramount Theater Downtown on the 6th of March. Everlast will also be performing during the intermission and after the show. Come out and support her in the pursuit of her first title!
The basic condition for us to be able to hear the call of beauty and respond to it is silence. If we don’t have silence in ourselves—if our mind, our body are full of noise—then we can’t hear beauty’s call.