Focus of the Week (10/5/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
10.5.2015 – 10.11.2015
Fundamentals – Headlock Defense
- Standing Headlock With Punches – This is a little different than the regular headlock because we are adding strikes. This means we have to do something to get control of their arms to stop the strikes, and then take them down.
- Headlock Escapes from the Ground – Last week, we looked at arm barring the attacker when they insist on keeping the headlock when we take them down. This time we are going to assume that either the headlock started on the ground, or the attacker through us down with it. Now we have to go through our headlock escape series and we should be out in no time!
Intermediate – Double Leg and Massa Pao Armbar
- Double-Leg Takedown – This is one of the staple takedowns, which is why we revisit it so much. It takes years to get good at these takedowns, so lets get going towards the 1,000 repetitions it’s going to take for us to get this one down!
- Massa Pao Armbar and Sweep – This is another one of those techniques we don’t generally favor, but opponents will attempt to do it. We will show you how to turn it against them and arm bar them, as well as how to turn it into a sweep. See you on the mat!
Kickboxing – Knees
This week we look at a powerful mid-range and short-range weapon: the knee. The knee can be thrown to the body or the head of an opponent, depending on the situation. We will look at the straight knee (long knee), the angled knee (round knee), as well as how to throw skip knees in the “clinch.” The power of the knee comes from hip extension, so learn to use your hips to thrust into a knee and deliver a powerful strike!
Muay Thai – Leg Kicks
This week in Muay Thai we look at all things low kick related. We will look at attacking the lead leg and the back leg of your opponent, following your low kicks up with various weapons, “cut kicking” your opponent’s support leg, and defending/countering low kicks properly. Developing a strong low kick and finding the right timing for them can be one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal!
- Lots of events coming up! Show some support and pick up some tickets to go and watch your favorite coach/fighter leave it all out there! It always means the world to the competitors to have the support of the team! Check with the front desk and see what dates are coming up for your favorite competitors!
The import thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become.
-Maharishi Mahesh Yogi