Focus of the Week – Back Escapes and Round Kicks
Easton Academies | Muay Thai and BJJ
1.06.2014 – 1.13.2014
Muay Thai –
- Round Kicks – Everybody knows that your legs are the strongest part of your body. It’s like Chubbs said in Happy Gilmore, “It’s all in the hips.” If you don’t know who Buakaw is, its time to get educated. Buakaw is probably the most famous Thai fighter in the world, and for good reason. Check out him kicking down a banana tree, and some of his highlights. (If you saw the Silva – Wiedman II fight, you know just how important it is to have proper kicking technique.)
- Round Kick Combos – Having a good Round Kick is crucial to being a well rounded Thai fighter. However, one kick won’t do the trick. This week we will be examining how to both set up our kick to make them more effective, and how to follow our kicks up to capitalize on the initial damage they cause. Check out David Ghita, the Savage Samurai.
- Defending Round Kicks – We just talked about how devastating Round Kicks can be. In addition to looking how to hit these kicks, we will be studying how to defend and counter them, to minimize the damage we take.
BJJ – Back Escapes
- Basic Hip Throw – One of the foundational moves of Judo is the hip throw, or Uki Goshi. Not only are hip throws used for taking your partner to the ground, they also open up a whole range of reactionary throws and sweeps, depending on how your partner reacts. Check out this great BJJ Scout video on Rodolfo Viera and the “Planes of Judo”
- Back Escapes – Risky Side and Safe Side – If you’re anything like me, you know how much it sucks to have your back taken. Well this week we’re going to learn how to get out of this pesky position. Because your partner is in such a dominant position it’s important that you know all the details to get out, so make you hit these classes hard and give your defensive skills a boost.
- Mid Level Single Leg Takedown – With every technique we learn there are hundreds of little variations. Each variation works a little better than the rest depending on the specific situation you are in. With this Single Leg variation you will be able to hit your singles from a closer range and with quicker timing.
- Back Escapes – Focus on the Safe Side With Armbar and Footlock Attacks – From your first day of attacking the back we’ve always yelled at you to “Never Cross Your Feet!” This week we learn why. We will be reviewing our basic Back Escapes and looking at the few ways to attack our partner when they are on our back.
- Mount Offense – If you guys missed out on the Braulio Estima seminar, you’re in luck. This week we will be focusing on advanced concepts for maintaining and attacking the mount. Before you head into class check out Roger Gracie, one of the legends of the sport, and possibly the man with the most dangerous mount in the world!
Happy New Years Everyone! 2014 is here so get out there and get moving towards your goals! We are here training CrossFit, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, and more! Come join in and get in on the fun!
Change is inevitable. Don’t fear the change, accept it and even embrace it. You can’t stop change from happening, but you can adjust your attitude about it, which sets you up for success instead of failure. Decide to roll with the punches and life won’t seem so bad…