Focus of the Week ( 6/9/2014 )
BJJ | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Fitness | Kids
6.09.2014 – 6.15.2014
Fundamentals – Guard Sweeps
Intermediate – Attacking Side Control
Kickboxing – Round Kicks
Round kicks are one of the most powerful tools in your striking arsenal. This week we will spend time looking in detail at the mechanics of the round kick and learn how to use our body efficiently for maximum power. Remember: slow is smooth and smooth is fast!
Fitness Challenge: Push Ups
Muay Thai – Rolling, Blocking, and Pulling
In Muay Thai, there are 3 zones of contact: inside, in range, and outside. We will look at three ways to counter round punches when we find ourselves in these different zones. After we defend, we will add the counter. Offense, defense, counter…the natural rhythm of the fight!
CrossFit – It’s Always Something Else
Kids – Self Defense
Focus of the Month
This week we are discussing what to do if a bully doesn’t stop when you ask them to. After we’ve directly addressed the bully, the next step is to tell somebody who can mediate the situation. We never know if this whole situation was caused by a small misunderstanding or hurt feelings that were never resolved, and a mediator is just the thing to bring those issues to light.
- Little Tigers – This week we study Boxing. As great a BJJ is, it’s not an all inclusive martial art. To be the best you need to know as much as possible, so this week we study some basic punching technique. This prepares us to defend ourselves from the feet if necessary, and also builds our hand-eye coordination.
- Tigers – This week we are studying Guard Passing and Headlock Escapes. The Headlock is the stereotypical ‘Bullying position’, and sticking with our theme of Bullying and Self Defense, we will look at how to escape this position. We also study some basic Guard Passing techniques, looking at how to get around our partners legs to secure a more dominant position.
- Advanced Tigers – Guard Passing and Headlock Escape. This week we review Headlock Escapes, and study some advanced Guard Passing techniques that give us ultimate control over our partner.
Punches with Kicks – We’ve covered the 3 basic punching types: Straight punches, Hooks, and Upper Cuts; and the 2 types of kicks: Round kicks and Teeps. Now it’s time to put them together. This requires focus and balance, but becomes the building blocks for an effective striking game.
- Congratulations to Coach Brian Carlsen from ETC Boulder! He traveled to California this past weekend to compete in the Dream Submission Only Brown Belt Challenge and won his division and a $1000 check! Awesome job coach, way to represent!!
- Summer Camps have a few spots left so make sure to get in on the fun while there is still time! Check with the front desk to make sure your child doesn’t miss out!
You might not be where you want to be… perhaps you’re not even where you’re supposed to be, but in the end you should thank your lucky stars that you aren’t where you used to be! Keep on truckin’ in the right direction and eventually you’ll get to where you need to be.