Focus of the Week (3/17/2014)
BJJ | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Fitness | Kids
3.17.2014 – 3.23.2014
BJJ – Mount Attacks
Curriculum Change: Big news guys and gals. We have changed the length of the BJJ Curriculum rotation.
Fundamentals: 1 Week | Intermediate: 2 Weeks | Advanced: 4 Weeks
This change means you will see a different technique every week in Fundamentals, as usual, every 2 weeks in Intermediate, and every month in Advanced. This will give you time to really dig into the more advanced technique and work them into your game.
Let us know what you think!
- Rear Choke Defense – The most important thing to defend in any Self Defense situation is your neck. This week we will be looking at how to defend an attackers technical and not-so-technical Rear Naked Choke.
- Maintain Mount + Front Choke and Armbar – so we got into Mount, now what? It’s time to attack! /this week we’ll be going over several attacks, then learning how to link those attacks together creating a combination that spells T-A-P for your partner. Check out the legendary Roger Gracie for one of the most devastating Mount games in the history of BJJ.
- Guard Passing From The Knees – Passing a good Guard is incredibly difficult and frustrating. This week we will go over how to stay low and pass, cutting off a good portion of our partner’s Guard game.
- Half Guard Top – We’ll be sticking with the top of Half Guard this week. Refining the details and getting creative.
Muay Thai – Knees
- This week we will be focusing on working our knees into combos, keeping 0ur partner guessing where the next attack is coming from.
- A quick review of the basic Knee combos, then we will look at how to counter our partner’s attacks using one of the most powerful strikes in Muay Thai. Check out Remy “The Flying Gentleman” Bonjasky for some of the most creative knees in the business.
Kickboxing – Round Kicks
- Round Kicks are an incredibly difficult move to execute because of the coordination and timing required. This week we’ll be studying this technique so you understand the concepts behind generating power. Then we’ll take it to the bags getting an incredible leg, core, and cardio workout while practicing all the concepts you just learned. Check out Coach Sean Madden and Steve Eisman with all the fine details.
CrossFit – Kipping Handstand Push Ups
- Pressing your body weight is incredibly difficult. This week we’ll be working on the Kipping Handstand Push Up (HSPU) using our legs to help get us up. Want to learn how to do them? Coach Georgia walks you through the 4 steps of a perfect HSPU.
Kids – Respect
Focus of the Month
- Respect – Esteem for, or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality, or ability.
- Often times demonstrating respect doesn’t come from obvious actions. It comes from lots of little actions that compound. This week we will be discussing some of these small ways to demonstrate respect such as the 7 Magic Words, Looking at people when they are speaking, and not interrupting when somebody else is speaking.
- Little Tigers – This month we’ll be working on Passing the Guard (Crazy Legs) and how to control Side Control (Crocodile Control). The Crazy Legs game will teach your child Agility, while Crocodile Control will teach them Balance.
- Tigers – This month we will continue working on Double Leg Takedown to Back Take, and we will add in the Armbar From Mount. Both of these movements are complex and require Focus and Coordination to execute properly.
- Advanced Tigers – This month we will add in 2 Back Escapes, which require great Body Awareness to make work. We will also be working on our Triangles, developing Core Strength.
Curriculum Change: The Kids Muay Thai classes will now have 2 week rotations, meaning we will focus on the same technique for 2 weeks in a row.
- Punches with Kicks – Punching and Kicking are difficult techniques to learn by themselves. This week we will be combining the two. This takes great balance, coordination, and focus.
- Coach Peter Straub is up next week, so drop in and grab your tickets if you haven’t already! See the front desk and get yours before they’re all gone! Coach has been training super hard and needs your support! Go ETC!!
- Everybody did great at the IBJJF Pan Ams tournament. Congrats to Prof. Easton, James Strater-Smith, Rossie Snow, and Kilian Beggan on bringing home some hardware!
- Coaches Sean Madden and Cory “The Snap Chat Savant” Sandhagen are travelling to Virginia this week to compete in the WKA North American Championships. Wish them luck!
- Coach Brian Carlsen is down in Rio competing in Copa Podio for the next 2 weeks. Check the Easton Twitter feed for updates on his trip. @EastonTC
Things are never exactly the way you want them to be. Don’t let this stop you from living the life you want to live. You just have to be a little flexible and learn to love the life you have. This, and you must stay driven towards trying to achieve your “perfect” life…who knows, you just might!