BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
6.15.2015 – 6.21.2015
Fundamentals – Punch Defense
- Punch Defense from Standing – We’ll be looking at how to defend punches from a standing position. The key thing here is to close the distance, so we’ll look at stepping in to get double-overs and securing the low-back clinch. Make sure your stand up in base is solid!
- Punch Defense from Closed Guard – In a self-defense situation, you can used your closed guard to keep yourself safe. By breaking an attacker’s posture, you can get yourself out of danger of being punched.
Intermediate – Tripod Sweep
- Arm Drag – We’re going to continue to practice the arm drag this week, using it to set up takedowns. We’ll look in more detail at going from the arm drag to the double-leg.
- Tripod Sweep to Armbar and Triangle – When your partner stands up in your closed guard, it’s great to have a couple of solid sweeps in your arsenal. This week we’re practicing the tripod sweep, controlling an arm and taking out a leg in order to come into mount or back into closed guard on the ground. From here, we can start to set up the armbar or the triangle.
Kickboxing – Knees
Knees are one of our mid-range and short-range weapons in kickboxing and Muay Thai. In Kickboxing, where the “clinch” is not allowed, knees are more mid-range (the long knee or straight knee). In Muay Thai, where the clinch is encouraged, you will find closer knees, such as skip knees or round knees. This week we look at good mechanics on the straight and round knees, as well as how to develop rhythm on our skip knees on the bag!
Fitness Challenge: Alligator Push-Ups and Toe Touches
Muay Thai – Punch Defense
Kids – Balance Over Emotion
During this week’s mat chat, we’ll be giving the kids a tool of mindfulness. We’ll talk about focusing on a task besides our anger (balancing on one foot) in order to calm down.
- Little Tigers – We’re practicing maintaining side control this week, using a drill called crocodile control.
- Tigers – Testing Week
- Advanced Tigers – Testing Week
Coach Peter Straub from Denver and Coach Gigi Good from Centennial will be fighting soon on the Sparta Combat League show at the Grizzly Rose June 27th! Be sure and pick up some tickets from them or the the front desk at the academy and be there to cheer on some of our most exciting up and comers!The Rolles Gracie Seminar’s were amazing! You missed out if you were unable to attend, so make sure and come out for the next one! Professor Rolles gave an amazing seminar that was beneficial for all in attendance! Big thanks to Professor Easton for creating these great learning opportunities!
I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. ‘Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death. ~ Leonardo Da Vinci