BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
6.27.2016 – 7.3.2016
Fundamentals – Foot Sweep and Frame Escape
- Foot Sweep – The foot sweep; one of the most basic, versatile, and flat-out cool takedowns in all of grappling. They are an incredibly valuable tool for any grappler, as they blend seamlessly into almost any game and can deliver maximum results from relatively low risk and effort.
- Frame Escape – A couple of weeks ago, we were looking at the frame to pummel, where we used the frame as a transitional position to help us get to pummel. This week we will be using the frame itself to improve our position. This is important because it is the other side of the coin to the pummel. A good working knowledge of both is super important!
Intermediate – Single-Leg Defense and Front and Rear Sweep
- Single-Leg Defense – This week we will be looking at how to defend the single. This is great because we just spent a couple of weeks looking at doing them offensively, which should certainly help.
- Front and Rear Sweep – This is a situation where we are on the bottom and the opponent stands. When he stands, we have the option to sweep him forward over our heads, or backwards towards his backside. His posture will decide which direction we choose.
Kickboxing – Leg Kicks
This week in KB 1, we look at attacking the legs of our opponent, using the outside low kick and the inside low kick. These two kicks are designed to attack the lead leg of our opponent and cause damage, which in turn with slow our opponent down, and opens up another level of our offense (head, body, legs). We will also look at the basic defense for low kicks, by “checking,” and how to counter and return properly.
Muay Thai – Clinch Work
This week in Muay Thai, we look at the most important, but often most under-developed of American Muay Thai arsenal’s: the clinch. Basic clinch positioning, posture, entries, attacks, and sweeps will be the focus this week. Also basic defense and escapes. Most people start out despising the clinch, because it is very helpless position if you are new to it. However, once you learn even the basics, you have a huge advantage over everyone else! Come get your reps in this week and develop strong clinch fundamentals!
- Congratulations to all of the new Black Belts and everyone else who was promoted at the Member Appreciation Day in Boulder! It is always cool to see a great deal of the student body together having a good time. Next one, we will shoot to get everyone together, so don’t miss it!
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer