BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
6.6.2016 – 6.12.2016
Fundamentals – Bear Hug Defense and Mount
- Bear Hug from Front (Over and Under) – The self-defense applications must not be overlooked, and this is a fundamental concept for Jiu-Jitsu self-defense. The idea is that there are only several ways that someone will attempt to restrain you with their body. This week we will focus on when the attacker attempts to bear hug you from the front. We will cover appropriate counters for each situation.
- Maintaining Mount and Attacks – Since we spent a couple of weeks escaping from this position, it’s only right that now we focus on maintaining it. We will concentrate on the finer points and details necessary to pin your opponent and keep control of them when in the mount. Once you are beginning to understand this…we will then add the front choke, and the armbar setups. Happy hunting!!
Intermediate – Single Legs and Back Attacks
- Single-Leg Takedown – Depending on which foot we have forward, and which foot our opponent has forward (this can be controlled with movement as well), this tells us which shot is available. When we have a “mirrored” stance, the single leg is the go to shot. We will break this down as well as a couple of different options for finishing.
- Back Attacks – We will break down controlling your opponent so that you can attack with one of the two collar chokes we’ll show (A&B), or the armbar from the back.
Kickboxing – Body Punching
This week in kickboxing, we look at the art of attacking the body. Learning how to properly punch your opponent’s midsection can add a new level to your offense! We will work on level changes, setting up the body shots, and proper follow ups after we land a devastating body punch.
Muay Thai – Teep and Push Kick Defense
Last week in class we looked at proper teep mechanics and offense. This week, we will focus on different ways of defending and countering teeps. As with most kick defense, we can block, redirect, catch, or evade push kicks. We will look at all these options and then explore the different counter opportunities.
- Congratulations to the Muay Thai/Kickboxing competitors that made the trek out to NY for the WKA Championships and were able to bring home some hardware, and some championship belts. We are relatively new to the international MT/KB scene, but with the help of veteran coaches and competitors like Sean Madden, and Tony Cummings…we are beginning to make the world take notice! Great job everyone!
Moral excellence comes about as a result of habit. We become just by doing just acts, temperate by doing temperate acts, brave by doing brave acts.