BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
3.21.2016 – 3.27.2016
Fundamentals – Single Leg and Guard Passing
- Single-Leg Takedown – The single-leg is a staple take down we all need to be proficient with. Taking the fight to the ground is what we are looking to do to utilize our ground game, and this takedown is one of the easier (take downs aren’t easy!) wrestling takedowns because it gets you off to the side where your opponent can’t put all of their weight on you in the same way they can on a double.
- Guard Passing – Under – Passing the guard is part of the Jiu Jitsu progression. You have to be able to pass the guard in order to get to a dominant position and control/submit your opponent. If you can’t pass, you’ll be subject to their attacks and will likely succumb eventually. This week we look at passing under the opponents legs as oppose to over the top.
Intermediate – Hip Throw and Guard Passing
- Renzo Hip Throw – Here we take a look at the hip throw variation from Renzo Gracie which utilizes a grip in the collar and a walking set up to walk the opponent right into the throw.
- Guard Passing – Knee through the Middle – This is a great way to pass the guard even against someone who’s really trying to keep you locked inside without doing a lot themselves.
Kickboxing – Round Kicks
This week in Kickboxing, we focus on the most important and strongest strike in our arsenal: the round kick. This kick is widely regarded in combat sports as one of the most powerful and devastating strikes due to the sheer force and speed with which they can be thrown. Mechanics to develop a strong round kick are essential. We will focus on using our entire body and swinging our shin like a baseball bat in order to generate maximum force. The rear round kick, the lead leg switch kick, and learning how to throw these kicks for speed and balance will be the focus!
Muay Thai – Leg Kick Defense
Last week we focuses on leg kick offense, set ups, and follow ups. This week we will look at the proper defense for leg kicks. Like most kick defenses, we can “block or receive” the kick, check it, catch it, or evade the kick. We will look at the appropriate counters and timing for each of these scenarios.
- Congrats to all of the ETC competitors that were out bringing home hardware from the Pans and Naga in CA! Everyone fought hard and had a great showing…thank you for your hard work and dedication! We all couldn’t be more proud. Special mention goes to John Combs for absolutely destroying his competition in his weight class and submitting each of his opponents en route to a first place Adult Brown Belt finish. Also, to Rossie Snow for bringing home Bronze in her adult, women’s division! Congrats again!
It is always the false that makes you suffer, the false desires and fears, the false values and ideas, the false relationships between people. Abandon the false and you are free of pain; truth makes happy, truth liberates.