BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
11.2.2015 – 11.8.2015
Fundamentals – Hip Throw and Maintaining Side Control
- Hip Throw – This Judo throw is very good for getting the fight to the ground in a hurry. One thing I also appreciate about this throw is that you do not have to go to the ground with your opponent on the throw. The versatility of this throw makes it a self-defense favorite.
- Maintaining Side Control and Transitioning to Mount – When on the top of side control, we should be looking to maintain the position, while not allowing the opponent to upgrade their position. We will look at doing that this week as well as going to mount from side control.
Intermediate – Hip Throw and Guard Passing
- Renzo Hip Throw Walking – This is a hip throw variation where the grip is placed in the collar behind the neck and the opponent is baited to walk towards you, pushing. This set up can be extremely effective for the overaggressive opponent.
- Knee Through the Middle Pass – This pass is a great way to open the opponent’s guard and begin to pass. We will show both ways to drive forward with your knee (near and far side). This is just one more tool you’ll need to be effective passing the closed guard.
Kickboxing – Stepping Off and Creating Angles of Attack
Fighting is not done in a straight line. The goal of any combat sport is to hit and not get hit, so we will examine this principle further this week during class. We will look at throwing an initial combination, “stepping off the line,” then following up once we have created an angle of attack. We will drill the “pivot” step to our lead side and the “slide” step to our rear side. Use your footwork to avoid taking unnecessary punishment!
Muay Thai – Round Kick Offensive Technique and Defense
The most commonly recognized weapon in Muay Thai is the round kick. What differentiates the round kick in Thai Boxing from other martial arts (karate, taekwondo) is the intent thrown behind the kick. The goal of the Muay Thai round kick is to kick THROUGH your opponent, not just TO the opponent! Think of throwing a round kick like swinging a baseball bat, you must turn your entire body into the swing in order to generate force. Same thing with the round kick! Full power every time!
- The Fight to Win Pro 1 BJJ event is right around the corner. Please be sure to grab some tickets from your favorite competitor or the front desk from your academy! This event is the first of its kind in Colorado, so let’s make it one for the ages! This could be the start of something amazing for the BJJ community, so don’t miss out. ETC will have a bunch of warriors there to represent! See you there!
The best antidote I know for worry is work. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired. One of the great ironies of life is this: He or she who serves almost always benefits more than he or she who is served. -Gordon B. Hinckley