Focus of the Week (9/3/18)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | Kids
9.3.2018 – 9.9.2018
- Bear Hug from Behind (Over Arms) – Defending the bear hug from behind can be pretty tricky, especially when our arms are trapped. Learning to use our body as a whole to get out of this position can be a laborious process, but well worth the time spent.
- Knee Slice Pass – Being stuck in closed guard can be a extremely frustrating experience. Sometimes even if the partner isn’t doing anything offensive, it can be very difficult to escape. Learning how we can escape using good posture and proper grips will really help us understand how to escape closed guard, and expand our overall knowledge of defense in our training.
- Drills: De la Riva to single leg x
- Takedown: Renzo Hip Throw
- Ground: Half guard top (control head)
Kickboxing – Boxing
This week in Kickboxing L1, we will be focusing on the “Sweet Science!” We will examine the similarities and the differences between traditional boxing and boxing for Kickboxing/Muay Thai. Let’s work on getting a mean jab this week!
Muay Thai – Leg Kick Defense and Counters
Last week our focus was low kick offense and strategy, so this week we flip the script and look at our common types of defense and how they apply to the low kick! Not all of our common defenses work well against the low kick, so we will focus on the core defenses (check/block, evade, intercept) and our best counter opportunities against a heavy-low kicker as well.
Kids – Body Over Emotion
This week we are going to talk about what we can do with our body, when we become angry or afraid, to make us feel better.
- Warm Up – Front rolls, back rolls, hipping out, and break fall
- Standing – Jab, cross, elbow
- BJJ – Snake Bite, Quick Bite, Snake Squeeze, review Base Battle
- Game – Hallway of Doom
- Explanation – For the striking portion of the class, we will focus on jabs, crosses, and elbows. On the ground, we will warm up with a game of Infection, and then teach Snake Bite. Snake Bite teaches students to use the buck and roll escape from the bottom of mount when their opponent is attempting to choke them. We’ll then revisit Base Battle and play Sumo Wrestling if time allows.
Tigers – Whtie Belt
- Standing – Snap down and take back
- Ground – Back attack – Rear naked choke
Tigers – Advanced
- Standing – Underhook to single-leg takedown
- Ground – Spider guard triangle
Thoughts – The Importance of Self-Awareness
A discrepancy between how you think you are perceived by others and how you are actually viewed exists in most of us. It is important to be aware of this discrepancy–at least in the abstract. We should all strive to be more self-aware, and pay closer attention to how our actions may affect and influence others. In doing so, we can aim to be better people in the world.