Focus of the Week (3/23/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
3.23.2015 – 3.29.2015
Fundamentals – Triangles
- Low-Level Double Leg – The double-leg is an essential takedown to have in your arsenal. We’ll be emphasizing the level change and the foot movements.
- Triangle From Guard – There are several different ways to set up a triangle. This week we’ll practice triangles from the bottom of guard, keeping in mind the ways our options change based on what our partners are doing.
Intermediate – Pendulum Motion
- Renzo Hip Throw (While Walking) – We’ll continue to practice the Ippon Seonage, A.K.A. the Renzo hip throw, working on taking our partners down by tossing them with our hips.
- Pendulum Sweep and Armbar – This week we’re going to practice the pendulum motion, and look at our options from the bottom of guard. We’ll learn how to use the pendulum to set up a sweep and an armbar. We’ll also talk about how to avoid triangles from this position.
Kickboxing – Elbows
Elbows are a very sneaky and dangerous short-range weapon. They are used to cut the opponent from various angles. This week we will focus on horizontal, downward, and uppercut elbows, proper guard when throwing elbows, and how to incorporate them into our hand combinations.
Fitness Challenge: Ice Skaters and L-Ups
Muay Thai – Attacking at Angles
This week we look at creating angles of attack in order to increase our chances of hitting and not getting hit. We will throw initial combinations to get our opponent covered, create an angle, then follow up with another attack. General rule of thumb: step off to the side you finish on!
Kids – Secrets
This week we’ll continue to talk about secrets, focusing on when it is appropriate to keep a secret, and when it is important to tell an adult. We’ll discuss distinction between secrets and surprises.
- Little Tigers – We’ll continue to work on our basic punching, and following up combinations with a double-leg takedown.
- Tigers – We’ll continue working on guard passing, and practice the buck and roll from the bottom of mount.
- Advanced Tigers – This week, in addition to reviewing last week’s material, we’re practicing pummel escapes and attacks from the back.
We’re going to mix it up with the elbows this week, looking at putting different types of elbows together in a combination.
- The Revgear BJJ tournament is this weekend, so make sure you wish all of the ETC competitors good luck, and stop by if you’re in the area to show support!
“Work hard for what you want as if your life depended on it, because it does. What you put in is what you get out, so put in everything and receive everything you want! Make no excuses…be kind, and assertive, and live a life worth living that others only dream of living!
Everybody pities the weak, but jealousy has to be earned.”
– Arnold Schwarzenegger