Focus of the Week 06/24/2019
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | Kids
6.24.2019 – 6.30.2019
- Low Level Double Leg Takedown
- Front Choke and Scissor Sweep from Closed Guard
- Position – Closed Guard Bottom
- Drills: De La Riva to Anaconda
- Takedown: Double Leg (Snap & Go, Chop Arms)
- Ground: Flower Sweep Series. Fan Sweep No-Gi
Kickboxing – Boxing
This week in Muay Thai, we will focus on the Sweet Science of Boxing! However, boxing in Muay Thai is very different than traditional boxing. We will examine some of the differences between the two, and how to better use our punching in Muay Thai to allow us to employ our other weapons successfully.
Muay Thai – Boxing and Long Knees
This week in Muay Thai, we will focus on on Zone 2 weapons: boxing and long knees. We are beginning to make our transition into closer range in the curriculum, so we will look at how to tie knees in with punching and start making entries into closer range.
Kids – Magic Words and how to say them.
This week we are going to talk about magic words and how to say them. The magic words of good manners are: Please, Thank You, May I, Excuse Me, etc. Having good manners isn’t just about using the right words. It is about saying them in the right way. More important than what you say is how you say it. When I was a kid and my mom called my name, I could tell if she was mad or not. If she said my name using a happy voice, was she in a good mood or a bad mood? If she said my name using an angry voice, was she in a good mood or a bad mood? What made it sound different is what we call “tonality.” It has to do with how we use our voice to change the meaning of a word. Let’s try saying Please, Thank you, and Excuse Me, in these different ways:
- Like you are mad
- Like you are teasing
- Like you are afraid
- Like you are polite and friendly
Which one sounds better? Which way would you like someone to talk to you? Remember to always use the right tonality using the magic words.
- BJJ – Inside Hands
Tigers – White Belt
- Standing – Double Leg
- Ground – Mount BJJ – Americana
Tigers – Advanced
- Standing – Arm Drag to Back
- Ground – Head Control Push Knee to Mount Position – Half Guard Top
- Help out the Easton Community and write us an honest review on Google, Facebook or Yelp! Redeem a free BJJ or Muay Thai Pin at the Denver location!
Thoughts – Character is How You Treat Those Who Can Do Nothing for You
There is a meme floating around that says “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I think this is a very important theme in life. Learn how to be good to everyone and not just those who you will benefit from.