Focus of the Week (4/30/18)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
Martial Arts Curriculum
Week of 4.30.2018 – 5.6.2018
Fundamentals – Closed Guard Bottom
- Grip Strips – One of the most important aspects of training in the kimono is grip fighting. In order for an opponent or attacker to effectively pin you or throw you, they must first obtain some sort of grips. If we spend the appropriate amount of time learning this part of the game, it should be extremely difficult for someone to mount an attack against you or throw you with any amount of confidence.
- Pendulum and Technical Armbar from Closed Guard – The armbar is one of the most traditional types of locks utilized in grappling, a lock that works by hyperextending the elbow joint. This week we will focus on attacking the armbar from the closed guard.
- Drills: Push/pull stance drill, russian drill, arm drag drill, post drill, De la Riva to anaconda guard sweep, and smash pass to mount from the De la Riva
- Takedown: Walking Renzo Hip Throw
- Ground: Knee to elbow escape
Remember, all intermediate classes start with a hard drilling session. This week focus on the hip throw when our opponent is walking toward us, setting up the russian tie, the push/pull wrestling stance drill, the arm drag drill, transitioning from DLR to anaconda guard, and passing the DLR with the smash pass to the mount. Please watch the video below for a detailed look at these drills. On the ground, we are studying how to defend the mount using the knee to elbow escape.
VideoKickboxing – Teeps/Push Kicks
This week in kickboxing, we will focus on using the teep, which translates to “foot jab” in Thai. The teep is a versatile weapon that can be used for range finding, disruption, off-balance your opponent, or setting up another attack. We will look at the mechanics of this kick then explore the different uses of the teep!
Muay Thai – Low Kicks
This week in Muay Thai, we will be looking at attacking the base of our opponents. We will be exploring low kicks and their many uses. We will drill the concepts of “climbing the ladder” and “coming down the ladder” as well!
Character is How You Treat Those Who Can Do Nothing for You
There is a meme floating around that says “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I think this is a very important theme in life. Learn how to be good to everyone and not just those who you will benefit from.