Focus of the Week (11/26/18)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | Kids
11.26.2018 – 12.2.2018
- Bear Hug from Front (Over and Under) – This week we will focus on defending a bear hug from the front by fighting for double underhooks and then moving to the side clinch position.
- Maintain Mount and Front Chokes – This week we are focusing on how to attack from the top of the mount. First, we must understand how to maintain the mount, and then we will look at a basic cross choke.
- Drills: Torreando
- Takedown: Side Clinch Series
- Ground: Defend Punches and Soneca Omoplata
Kickboxing – Elbows (Sok)
This week in kickboxing, we will go over the short-range weapon in the elbow. The elbow can be used to “cut” or “spear” the opponent, depending on how you throw it. We will look at proper elbow technique and then how to properly set our elbows up and cover distance from punch range to elbow range.
Muay Thai – Clinch Continued
This week in Muay Thai, we will work on taking what we learned last week and putting it into application! Classes this week will consist of positional and technique review followed by “live” rounds of clinch; working with various body types and partners with the goal of getting more comfortable in the clinch!
Kids Mat Chat: Personal Safety – What is a Lure?
This week we are going to talk about lures. Lures are tricks that people might use to get you to go with them when they know you shouldn’t.
- Warm Up – Front rolls, back rolls, hipping out, and break fall
- Standing – Jab, cross, knee
- BJJ – Crazy Horse, Bulldozer, Spider Kid
- Game – Instructor Choice
- Explanation – For the striking portion of the class, we will focus on throwing a basic jab, cross, vertical rear knee combination. Making sure the students are standing in a correct Muay Thai stance. On the ground, we will play the Crazy Horse game, which teaches students to spin to the back of a turtled opponent. Revisit the Spider Kid and Bulldozer techniques if time allows.
Tigers – Whtie Belt
- Standing – Stop Hands
- Ground – Pendulum Headlock Escape
Tigers – Advanced
- Standing – Guard Pull to Hook Sweep
- Ground – Knee on Belly – Switching sides over head and body
Thoughts – Character is How You Treat Those Who Can Do Nothing For You
There is a meme floating around that says “Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you.” I think this is a very important theme in life. Learn how to be good to everyone and not just those who you will benefit from.