Focus of the Week (8/15/16)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
8.15.2016 – 8.21.2016
Fundamentals – Back Control and Rear Naked Choke
- Maintaining Back Control – Once you have taken them down, maintaining the back to control and or submit them is a great option to have. We will break down the process of controlling someone from the back, as well as a couple of finishes.
- Dragging Rear Naked Choke – Some situations call for you to take control of someone without necessarily injuring them. If you have the element of surprise, the dragging rear naked choke is a great way to gain the upper hand without injuring yourself or the other person.
Intermediate – Single Leg and Reposition Guard
- Single Leg Variations – This week we will be looking at our trusty single leg, and if time permits, our instructor will go over some different set ups or finishes for the single. Depending on which single variation you’re doing…the options are plenty!
- Reposition Guard Drill – This drill is extremely important. When working your guard, it’s imperative to understand that people WILL be able to open the guard some times. When this happens, you’ll need to understand some principles to keep your guard from actually being passed. If you have a good road map here for where to go…you’ll be just fine!
Kickboxing – Angles of Attack
The goal of combat sports is to hit and not get hit! This week, we will focus on different ways of “stepping off the line” to avoid getting hit after we hit our opponents. A good rule of thumb is to step to the side you finish on. So, if you finish with your lead hand, step to your lead side. If you finish with your rear hand, exit to your rear side. This week, we drill the pivot step to the lead side and the slide step to our rear side. Get off the tracks!
Muay Thai – Boxing
This week in Muay Thai, we will focus on tightening up our boxing. We will look at the jab and it’s different uses, moving our head while punching, and some counter work and footwork drills.
- The Submit Cancer event was a huge success, raising nearly $70,000 for a great cause! Props to all of the ETC and Elevation fighters and coaches that put it on the line. You inspire us all!!
- The Masters Seniors Worlds is coming up and ETC will be sending out a nice size team! Be sure and wish those competitors luck as they head out to rep the team! Big thanks to all of those that don’t compete as well…we couldn’t be ready without you and your dedication on the mat as well!
- Our next Muay Thai smoker is coming up on September 10th in Denver! Advanced students, speak to your instructors if you want to compete.
Scar tissue is stronger than regular tissue. Realize the strength, move on.