Focus of the Week (2/22/16)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
2.22.2016 – 2.28.2016
Fundamentals – Punch Defense
- Punch Defense – All fights start off standing, so knowing how to deal with an opponent that wants to punch you is really important. If you are unaware how to deal with this situation, then you may have a bad experience.
- Punch Defense – Super important as we said before to know how to deal with punches standing. The bad guy will often look to punch us on the ground too, so we definitely need some tools for evading and turning the tides on them. This is what we will look at for this portion of the training.
Intermediate – Double Leg and Massa Pao
- Basic Double-Leg – One of our staple take downs being revisited here. We look at a few takedowns and repeat them throughout the curriculum. This gives you an opportunity to keep improving at them instead of just getting a quick look and then not seeing it again for 16 weeks. This double is a must have for your takedown arsenal!
- Massa Pao Armbar and Sweep – This is a look at handling a common threat that happens when we are in the bottom of closed guard. The opponent will often try and choke you with your lapel from that top position, utilizing leverage and gravity to put you in trouble. We will cover how to neutralize the threat and work to turn the tables on the would be attacker.
Kickboxing – Push Kicks and Teeps
The push kick is a great linear weapon in Kickboxing that can be used to create or maintain distance between yourself and your opponent, disrupt the opponent’s offense, or off-balance the opponent in order for you to set up another attack. This week we will look at the mechanics of a good push kick or “foot jab,” as the Thai’s call it. Once we learn the push kick, we can learn how to combine it with our other weapons and add it to the toolbox!
Muay Thai – Boxing
This week in Muay Thai we will focus on the more under-utilized aspect of Traditional Thai Boxing: the hands. Most American Muay Thai fighters come from a western style of boxing, but in the birthplace of the sport, the boxing is rarely used. We will look at punching from the 50/50 stance and creating power and speed with our hand combinations.
- Congrats to all of the ETC competitors that represented at the F2W TOC this weekend. We brought home more hardware than ever, and the most team points we’ve ever scored too! Congrats to everyone on the team, and the coaches and staff for your support as well!
Learning is a gift…even when pain is the teacher!! – Unknown