Focus of the Week (6/29/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
6.29.2015 – 7.5.2015
Fundamentals – Maintaining Side Control
- Basic Hip Throw – We’re looking at the hip throw this week, a technique that comes from BJJ’s Judo roots. Focus on momentum here, and take care of your partner!
- Maintaining Side Control – As we move up the hierarchical positional ladder, we begin to have more options for attacks. However, once you’ve attained a dominant position like the top of side control, you need to be able to maintain it long enough to set up attacks or move higher up the ladder. We’ll look at three different methods, as well as taking the mount from this position.
Intermediate – Frame Escape
- Low Double-Leg – We’ll practice the setup, getting past an opponent’s three lines of defense: head, hands, and hips. Then we’ll look at the shot–snapping your partner’s hands down to get them out of position, getting low, and finally, changing the angle to knock them off balance.
- Frame Escape – We’re practicing the frame escape this week, a technique that can be used to escape side control or half guard. We’ll look at different ways to react and change hand positioning depending on what the uki does. This class is a great compliment to the Fundamentals theme of maintaining side control. Try to get both in this week!
Kickboxing – Elbows
Elbows are a devastating and sneaky short-range weapon, used primarily in Muay Thai. Think of the elbow strike like a knife, with the tip of the elbow acting as the blade. The goal of the elbow is to cut, not to smash, like a punch or a kick. This week we will examine strong elbow mechanics to get the most out of our strikes, while looking at a variety of different elbow techniques!
Fitness Challenge: Mountain Climbers and Reverse Crunches
Muay Thai – Body Punches
This week we look at effective ways to set up strikes to the body. The left hook to the liver, one of the most destructive punches in all of boxing, will be studied in great detail. Various set ups and follow ups will be drilled to maximize our chances of landing the liver shot. Keep in mind that your best bet is to go “head-body-head” or “body-head-“body;” use one target to set the next one up!
Kids – Body Over Emotion
This week we’ll discuss having control over our bodies even when we are upset. We’ll talk about how we can use our bodies to change our mood from angry to confident, and why it is important never to speak or strike out of anger.
- Little Tigers – The Little Tigers will be practicing having a solid stance. We’ll play a game called Base Battle to learn to defend against being pushed or pulled.
- Tigers – This week we’re working on the snap down. From a standing position, we’ll use a clinch to control our partner’s head, bringing them to the floor, where we can take the back. We’ll also look at guillotine defense from standing.
- Advanced Tigers – The advanced group will be practicing the frame escape from the bottom of side control.
We’ll continue looking at punch defense this week, moving on to blocks and rolls to defend against hooks.
- Congrats to Coach Peter Straub for gutting out a tough win at the SCL show this weekend! Can’t wait to see the next one!
- The Fourth of July is right around the corner, so please enjoy yourselves, but remember to drink responsibly! We need all of you to come back from the weekend in one piece! Please check the most recent updates on the schedules for school closures and open mat times for the weekend!
Don’t let life discourage you; everyone who got where he is had to begin where he was. ~Richard L. Evans