Focus of the Week (4/20/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
4.20.2015 – 4.26.2015
Fundamentals – Bottom of Guard
- Double-Leg Takedown – Last week we worked on the single-leg takedown. Now we’re going to take a look at the basic double-leg. Make sure you get a lot of repetitions with this one,
- Bottom of Guard – Front Choke and Scissor Sweep – We’re going to look at our options from the bottom of guard, starting with the front choke. We’ll look at a couple of different ways to set up this choke. We’ll also work on the scissor sweep, which is a great option when your partner blocks the choke.
Intermediate – Passing Half Guard
Kickboxing – Leg Kicks
Leg kicks are a powerful attack, targeted at your opponent’s thighs. A good leg kick can limit your opponent’s movement, prevent them from attacking, and prevent them from defending! This week we will focus on the mechanics of the “outside leg kick” and the “inside leg kick,” both designed to attack the lead leg of your opponent. Tip: sit low into your leg kicks! Use gravity and your weight to create powerful leg kicks!
Fitness Challenge: Dive Bombers and Leg Extensions
Muay Thai – Teep and Push Kicks
The focus this week is the lead leg “teep” and the rear leg push kick. The teep can be used like a foot jab, to keep space, find your range, and disrupt your opponent’s rhythm. We will focus on different uses of the teep, as well as a few different ways of defending and countering push kicks. The key to a strong push kick is good leg and hip extension!
Kids – Attitude of Gratitude
This week we’re talking about how important it is to be grateful for the good people and things we have in our lives. We’re encouraging our students to take stock of what they are thankful for, and to focus on these things rather than what they dislike or want to change.
- Little Tigers – The Little Tigers will be working on the buck and roll mount escape this week. This is the counterpart to maintaining the mount, which we’ve been practicing by playing Spider Kid.
- Tigers and Advanced Tigers– We’re practicing the knee-to-elbow mount escape this week. We’ll practice this starting directly from mount, as well as from the back sweep into mount.
This week we’re focusing on round kicks, breaking the kick down into its component steps. We’ll work on both the rear kick and the switch kick, emphasizing the setup.
- Peter Straub will be making his MMA Pro Debut this weekend! Be sure to grab a ticket from him or the front desk and show some support! Coach is ready for anything and will be leaving it all in the cage…you don’t want to miss it!Congrats to all our Easton Muay Thai competitors who fought in the Colorado State Muay Thai Championships this weekend! Way to represent, we are proud of you!
Life is definitely too short to be spent enveloped in negativity. You don’t need it in any form. It is a cancer that eats at you and your happiness. Embrace the positivity that is present…choose it over the negative, and you’ll be instantly in a better place.
Stay Away From Negative People. They Have A Problem For Every Solution.