Focus of the Week (12/7/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
12.7.2015 – 12.13.2015
Fundamentals – Guillotine
- Standing Guillotine Offense and Defense – We will look at the basic guillotine from standing as well as how to defend. This can be a great offensive weapon and you certainly must know how to defend it if you’re going to be successful.
- Guillotine from Bottom – The guillotine from the bottom is one of the best ways to go for this specific attack. We will go through some setups and ideas for attacking this submission from the bottom.
Intermediate – Shot Defense and Scarf Hold Escape
- Shot Defense – Instructors will choose from their favorite shot defense techniques and share with us this week. Single leg, double leg, and hip throws are just a few examples of techniques we will learn to defend. Don’t miss out on these techniques…you’ll be sorry.
- Scarf Hold Escape – If you know how to do a headlock escape, you’ll be ahead of the game, so hopefully you were there for last week’s classes. We will cover the subtle differences between headlocks and scarf holds (kesa katame), and what you should do to keep from getting caught in them, and how to escape as well.
Kickboxing – Body Punches and Changing Levels
This week we focus on a valuable tool in Boxing and Kickboxing: body punching. When we attack the head, we open up our opponent’s midsection for strikes as well. We will look at proper body punching technique, where to aim, and how to set these shots up in order for success. Attacking our opponent’s body sets us up to attack again back to the head, or to attack the legs as well (kickboxing, not boxing). The more varied the attack, the harder the time our opponent has of defending!
Muay Thai – Orthodox vs. Southpaw Principles
One of the most tricky match ups in fighting is the orthodox vs southpaw match up. This week we will look at the basic principles of fighting against the opposite stance and how to attack and defend successfully against their weapons. We will also get comfortable hitting pads in the opposite stance as well!
- The in-house Muay Thai smoker is this weekend at ETC Denver! This is a chance to see your teammates get a taste for fighting. $5 spectator fee, see you there!
- Friday 12/11 is the last day to register for our in-house BJJ Tournament, which will take place at ETC Denver on Saturday 12/19. Sign up and pay online at eastonbjj.com.
- The Boulder, Denver, and Centennial academies are holding a holiday gift drive for Children’s Hospital Colorado! Each academy has a tree listing the hospital’s requested gifts.
Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.