Focus of the Week (11/30/15)
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
11.30.2015 – 12.6.2015
Fundamentals – Double-Leg and Triangle Choke
- Basic Double-Leg – This takedown is just as it sounds. It is a takedown where we grab and both of our opponent’s legs, utilizing the momentum and leverage to take them down. When done correctly, this position should land you in side control, ready to take the back or mount.
- Triangle – This submission allows you to make the most of what would normally be considered a bad position (closed guard). We will teach you how to utilize your legs to choke your opponent from the bottom position. This tool will give you confidence even when you are on your back, and evens the playing field in a major way. Your opponent will be forced to tap, or lose consciousness.
Intermediate – Shot Defense and Scarf Hold Escape
- Shot Defense – Instructors will choose from their favorite shot defense techniques and share with us this week. Single leg, double leg, and hip throws are just a few examples of techniques we will learn to defend. Don’t miss out on these techniques…you’ll be sorry.
- Scarf Hold Escape – If you know how to do a headlock escape, you’ll be ahead of the game, so hopefully you were there for last week’s classes. We will cover the subtle differences between headlocks and scarf holds (kesa katame), and what you should do to keep from getting caught in them, and how to escape as well.
Kickboxing – Knees
This week we focus on a powerful mid-range and short-range weapon in the knee. The knee has a variety of uses, so we will look at the long knee (speer knee), the angled knee (round knee), and the skip knee, from the clinch position. The power for these knees comes from using your hips! Like every strike in kickboxing, make sure we are balanced before and after we throw the strike.
Muay Thai – Distance, Range, and Pulling
Distance is everything in a fight, and it usually comes down to the smallest distance making a big difference. This week we will look at managing our distance between the opponent and ourselves and evading strikes so we are in good position to come back and return fire!
- Congrats to all of the coaches and students that competed in the F2W PRO 1 Jiu-Jitsu event. Everyone did an amazing job and represented ETC in amazing fashion. Thanks to all of the students and families that came out to support as well! It’s always awesome to get everyone together!
- The In-House Smoker and BJJ Tourneys are right around the corner. Make sure you’re signed up if you’re looking to do either. If you have any questions, check with the coaches or the front desk.
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.