Focus of the Week – Triangles and Leg Kicks
Easton Academies | Muay Thai and BJJ
1.20.2014 – 1.26.2014
BJJ – The Back and Knee on Belly
- Rear Bear Hug Defense – This is one of the most common situations we see in Self Defense. An attacker grabs you from behind and holds you. This week we will be looking at how to escape this position and get the fight to the ground where we can use our Jiu Jitsu.
- Triangle Choke – This is one of the most effective and fundamental chokes in Jiu Jitsu. By pitting one of the strongest parts of our body — our legs — against one of our partner’s weakest — their neck — we can utilize leverage to easily choke our partner. Check out
- Walking Renzo Hip Throw – We will continue with last week’s technique, implementing our Basic Renzo Hip Throw while our partner is moving.
- Guard Passing – Knee through the Middle – This week we will look at how to pass our partner’s guard when we can’t open their legs.
- Back Attacks – We will continue to explore Back attacks this week.
Muay Thai – Leg Kicks
- Leg Kicks – Leg kicks can be your best friend if you know how to use them right. They combo easily with a multitude of punch and kick combos, as well as wear your partner down through out a fight. They make your partner heavy on their feet, and they may also start to drop their hand in reaction, allowing you to set up solid angles with combinations to follow. Check out the master of the leg kick Ernesto Hoost.
- Leg Kick Defense – If you’ve ever taken a leg kick you know how much they affect your game. You become flinchy and slow. This week we will learn how to defend leg kicks and follow up with counters. Showing our partner they can’t land a kick without paying for it. Check out this video for some different ways to counter.
Kickboxing – Round Kicks
- Everybody knows that your legs are the strongest part of your body. This week we’ll be learning how to utilize that strength to properly kick. We will be working your Round Kicks on the bag so you can gain confidence and control with this powerful movement.
CrossFit – Set Position
- The number one concern of any lift or movement in CrossFit is to keep your spine safe. The three postures of the Set Position — shoulders, mid back, and low back — allow you to to be fully aware of the end ranges of your spine. Knowing your full range of motion allows you to stay safe even while you fatigue.
- The Set Position is the first, most fundamental and important body position in Olympic weightlifting, it is the safe, extended position of the spine. An athlete is not allowed to continue with any movement or drill if the spine fatigues or falls out of the extended Set position. At the Easton Training Center, we break down the Set Position into 3 components to warm up the spine and make the athlete very aware of their back position.
Check out our very own Georgia Maxey explaining the 3 parts of the Set Position.
Kids – Self Discipline
Focus of the Month
Self Discipline – Discipline is the ability to do something when somebody asks you to do it. Self discipline is the ability to do something without somebody asking.
Self Discipline is one of the cornerstones of Martial Arts values. We will continue with our discussion of what Self Discipline is, why it’s important, and how to use it to achieve your goals. Here are a couple resources for you to help you show your children what self discipline is through example, and some ways to direct your child towards self discipline.
Little Tigers – We will be playing the “Crazy Horse” game this week, which is a Back Control game. This will teach your child footwork and agility.
Tigers – We will be looking at Shooting a Double Leg and maintaining Back Control this week. Both of these techniques will teach your child footwork and balance.
Advanced Tigers – The Mount is the focus of this week’s classes. We will look at using the Toreando Pass to progress to the Mount Position. Guard Passing will teach your child footwork and agility, while Mount will teach your child dynamic balancing skills.
This week we will be going over low kicks. Learning how to low kick will teach your child the concept of angles, agility, and balance.
- The new ETC in Boulder is open so make sure to drop in and check it out! The Boulder staff has been working non stop to get the place up and running and it looks great! Drop in and see our newest facility!!
- Stop in and grab tickets to see Tyler Toner and Jarred Mercado in action at the Prize Fighting Championship Event at the Paramount Theater downtown on Feb 7th! Jarred and Tyler have both worked extremely hard for this one so don’t miss it!
There is plenty of time for you to work out! Making excuses about time is a waste of it…allot time for taking care of your body. After all, it is the only one you get. Not to mention that all you need to do to know that there IS in fact enough time for fitness in your day, is just look at all the things you DO make time for. One or more of those things is probably not nearly as good or productive for you as exercising would be, so get in and get going!!!