Focus of the Week ( 8/25/2014 )
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
1.09.2014 – 1.16.2014
Fundamentals – Closed Guard Attacks
- Basic Double Leg Take Down – The bread and butter of any wrestling game.
- Front Choke + Scissor Sweep – One of the most effective 1-2 combos in BJJ.
Intermediate – Half Guard Escapes
- Sprawling – A must-know for defending shots. The sprawl is your key to staying on top.
- Half Guard Escapes – We’ll study the best ways to go transition from Half Guard back to Full Guard.
Kickboxing – Push Kicks
Muay Thai – Clinch
Clinch is one of the most important aspects of the game in traditional Thai boxing. Elbows and knees score the highest, and those tools are used in the clinch position. This week we focus on good clinch posture, various hand positions in the clinch, as well as clinch offense and defense. Look forward to a sore neck this week after class!
Kids – Loyalty
Focus of the Month
The best way to confront an issue with somebody is head on, after some deliberation. It’s okay to discuss issues with one person with another person to work through the best solutions. But be careful you don’t talk negatively about others. Separate yourself from your emotions a bit to evaluate the source of the issues, and then confront the person your having the issues with to sort them out.
- Little Tigers – Taking the Back will teaches Agility and Balance.
- Tigers – Mount Escapes are one of the most important Self Defense techniques you can learn.
- Advanced Tigers – Passing the Closed Guard is one of the most fun things to do in BJJ.
This week we’ll be combining our punches with kicks. This takes a lot of focus and practice, so stay committed this week.
- The Fight To Win tournament was Saturday and we did it again! Congratulations to all of the ETC Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitors that took to the mat this weekend and helped secure another team title fr Easton Training Center! This is only possible because of your hard work and dedication. We are grateful that we have such amazing students and coaches on the team!
- Belt Promotions happened Monday night. Check the list to see who got new belts.
In competition, there will be winning and there will be losing…make sure that you can handle both! I was super excited this weekend at the BJJ tournament to see how many people handled themselves with grace and humility when winning, and when losing matches. I did however see some that didn’t handle losing well. That was all the reminder I needed. I hope that no matter what you compete in, you won’t ever behave in a manner unbecoming of the awesome person you are! It is a choice!