Focus of the Week ( 7/07/2014 )
BJJ | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Fitness | Kids
7.07.2014 – 7.13.2014
Fundamentals – Headlock Escapes
Intermediate – Replacing the Guard
Kickboxing – Body Punches
Muay Thai – Boxing Defense
Before you learn offense and flashy attacks, you need to learn how to stay safe in the ring. Muay Thai has a variety of attacks, so we will perfect our punch defense this week. Once we defend, we can learn to counter attack our opponent…. Offense, defense, counter, the natural rythym of the fight!
CrossFit – How to Survive
- Write stuff down so you know where you came from. Seriously, write stuff down. You wont remember where you came from, and you need to have a constant reminder of what you are working on, what you have done, and what you need to work on.
- Eat good food. What you eat will directly effect every workout. Have something in your system before you train, and put something back in right after you work out. DO research your food.
- Know when to Back Off. Come in for active rest days, or extra mobility work. You need to listen your body and don’t over train, but still come in and do auxiliary work.
- CrossFit is always about “something else.” That workout was hard because of the wall balls, I could have crushed it if my wrists didn’t hurt. My muscles weren’t tired, but I couldn’t breathe. This sport is hard because of all the external factors. Come in and focus on honing those skills as much as crushing what you are good at.
- Work on the same stuff a lot. Use the first year or two to get good a the basics. Work on the same basic stuff a TON, then worry about your reverse muscle ups, atlas stones, triple under’s and buddy carries..
Kids – Courage
Focus of the Month
I tell my kids, what is the difference between a hero and a coward? What is the difference between being yellow and being brave? No difference. Only what you do. They both feel the same. They both fear dying and getting hurt. The man who is yellow refuses to face up to what he’s got to face. The hero is more disciplined and he fights those feelings off and he does what he has to do. But they both feel the same, the hero and the coward. People who watch you judge you on what you do, not how you feel.
- Little Tigers – Being able to control our partner with our legs is fundamental for, not only our BJJ, but self defense. This week we’ll play Cray Horse to develop the dexterity and agility we need for this control.
- Tigers – Taking an opponents back is the most effective way to end a fight while staying safe. This week we’ll look at how to take a scuffle from the feet, to the ground, and pass to our partner’s back, ending it safely and quickly.
- Advanced Tigers – This week we’ll be looking at one of the most effective Guard positions around, the High Guard. this position gives us ultimate control over our partner’s body, and usually end in a submission.
This week we cover the basics of punching with the Jab and the Cross.
- Congratulations to all of the ETC competitors that made it out for the Revgear Tournament! Win or lose, you all honor us with your efforts. As usual, we brought home plenty of hardware and plenty of experience that we can use to collect more gold in the future. Great job everyone!
- Coach Peter’s fight is right around the corner! Grab tickets for the Sparta card on the 18th and come support Coach and Jake Chatham from Littleton/Highlands Ranch as they go into battle. Nothing feels better than having a huge cheering section at an event like this, so lets fill that place up with ETC students and watch Coach and Jake do work!
- Not too late to get a spot saved for your little one in the summer camps! Denver, Boulder, and Littleton/Highlands Ranch all have a few spots left in their summer camps. Check with the front desk or the Tigers’ coaches and they can help answer any questions.
Hopefully everyone had a safe 4th Of July! Now that you’ve had a break and enjoyed good food and good times with family and friends, it’s time to get back on the fitness wagon and make sure you’re getting your training in and those holiday pounds off! Crossfit, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, or BJJ. Take your pick and get in to class…we can’t wait to see you!Be at peace, be happy…have a great week! We are here for a GOOD time, not for a Long time!