Focus of the Week ( 12/1/2014 )
BJJ | Kickboxing | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Kids
12.1.2014 – 12.7.2014
Fundamentals – Defending the Back
- Single Leg – This week we’ll study how to get our partner’s to the mat if they’re in a “mirrored” stance.
- Back Escapes – Escaping the back is tough, first we have to keep safe, then we can think about getting out of danger. All the stuff we worked on last week in positioning we will be trying to undo from the defensive side.
Intermediate – Sweeps
- Single Leg Defense – Once our partner has a Single Leg, we’re in a sticky situation. This week we’ll study how to avoid letting our partner get to deep, and how to fend off the takedown if they do.
- Front and Rear Sweeps – Again, this week we’ll study how to sweep our partner if they’re leaning too far forward or backwards.
Kickboxing – Leg Kicks
Leg Kicks are a specific kick thrown at your opponent’s legs. When thrown properly, these kicks can do a lot of damage! This week, we will focus on the “outside leg kick” and the “inside leg kick,” both of these are designed to attack your opponent’s front leg. If your shins are sore, please bring your shin guards this week to class!
Fitness Challenge: High Knees & Man Makers
Muay Thai – Round Kicks
Round Kicks are the most important tool in your Muay Thai arsenal. Most fighters develop their game around a strong round kick (Google: Buakaw or Yodsanklai). This week we will focus on developing solid round kick mechanics, which will lead to stronger and faster kicks. We will also look at 3 ways to defend and counter the round kick: block, check, and catch.
Kids – Good Manners
This week we’ll be working on how to make a positive first impression, then follow through on the standard we set. We’ll start off by talking about how to greet somebody.
- Little Tigers – This week we’ll be working on pulling our partner to the ground using a front headlock, then circling to the back so we can start using our BJJ. We’ll also review our striking techniques.
- Tigers – This week we’ll be taking the back off of our partner’s failed shot attempt.
- Advanced Tigers – We’ll be reviewing a bunch of techniques this week and figuring out how to put them together to build a game.
This week we’ll focus on combining our punching combo with our footwork, being able to strike and move at the same time.
- The In-House Muay Thai Smoker is coming up, so be sure to let your instructor know ASAP if you have an interest in getting out there. These are a great opportunity to get some fight experience in a safe, cool environment ran by the instructors you know and trust. Even if you will not be competing, drop in and watch our ETC warriors show what they can do! December 20th is the date!
- ETC Littleton/Highlands Ranch will be relocating and becoming ETC Centennial! Our first classes in the new location will be on December 8th! Keep an ear out for the grand opening date and drop in and check it out! Hope to see you all there.
Don’t let your preconceived notions about people hold you back from getting to know them. Find out what someone’s individual story is before you pass judgement. You just may have more in common than you think!
If we were to select the most intelligent, imaginative, energetic, and emotionally stable third of mankind, all races would be present.
~ Franz Boas