Focus of the Week (3/10/2014)
BJJ | Muay Thai | CrossFit | Fitness | Kids
3.10.2014 – 3.16.2014
- O Soto Gari + Foot Sweep – Last week we studied the basics of the O Soto Gari and Outside Foot Sweep. This week we will learn how to combine the two together. This is definitely a situation where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Here is a great highlight of foot sweeps to get you excited!
- Escaping Mount – Buck and Roll Focus – When starting your BJJ journey you’re going to feel like the nail a lot more than the hammer. This week we will be studying how to escape one of the most dominant positions: the Mount.
- Side Control Escapes – Pummel Series – Being stuck in Side Control is no fun. This week we’ll look at how to use our partner’s weight against them by redirecting their force and coming out the back with a Pummel. What if your partner Whizzars? Don’t worry we have an answer for that as well.
- Half Guard Top – It’s time to delve deep. We’ve spent 2 weeks with Half Guard now so everybody should be feeling good. This week we’ll be getting into the nitty gritty of the Half Guard.
Muay Thai – Teep Kicks
- This week we will be looking at how to follow up Teep Kicks with punches to take advantage of all the space we create. To get a sense of how powerful and versitile these kicks can be check out Buakaw.
- It’s time to get fancy. We’ll be mixing in the Teep Kick with more complicated combos. Looking at how to set them up as an offensive technique, and how to follow up after using them for defensive purposes.
Kickboxing – Boxing
- Boxing is the basis for every striking Martial Art. Learning how to Punch properly will set you up for success in the rest of your game. Coach Madden will walk you through the basics of each Punch.
CrossFit – Butterfly Pull Up
- The Butterfly Pull Up is one of the best ways to up your Pull Up game. It’s the fastest way and most efficient way to get Pull Ups . Learn how to execute this difficult technique with Coach Georgia Maxey, making it easy.
Kids – Respect
Focus of the Month
- Respect – Esteem for, or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality, or ability.
- Often times demonstrating respect doesn’t come from obvious actions. It comes from lots of little actions that compound. This week we will be discussing some of these small ways to demonstrate respect such as the 7 Magic Words, Looking at people when they are speaking, and not interrupting when somebody else is speaking.
- Little Tigers – This month we’ll be working on Passing the Guard (Crazy Legs) and how to control Side Control (Crocodile Control). The Crazy Legs game will teach your child Agility, while Crocodile Control will teach them Balance.
- Tigers – This month we will continue working on Double Leg Takedown to Back Take, and we will add in the Armbar From Mount. Both of these movements are complex and require Focus and Coordination to execute properly.
- Advanced Tigers – This month we will add in 2 Back Escapes, which require great Body Awareness to make work. We will also be working on our Triangles, developing Core Strength.
- Round Punches – This week we’ll continue looking at Round Punches — Hooks and Upper Cuts. This will teach your child Balance, as well as build Core Strength.
- Good luck to all of the ETC Competitors heading out to the Pan Ams March 12-16! This is our biggest group of competitors yet! Now lets go get some gold!!
- Coach Peter has tickets available for his upcoming fight so make sure and grab some before the big event. Coach has been training hard and would love your support!
Be happy.. Be at peace.. Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out!~ Wooden